Sunday, March 13, 2022

I'm Sorry Ms. Bean

As I've shared on this blog before, one of my favorite things to do as a superintendent is classroom visits. One of the things I worried about most when I began serving in this role twelve years ago was how far it was from the real action of teaching and learning. To address that, and selfishly because I love being around students, I make sure there is time in my schedule each week to be in classrooms. 

This past week, I wandered into a middle school English Language Arts (ELA) classroom. I sat in an empty seat near the back of the class and listened as Ms. Bean explained how the students would rank their choices for their book for the class book study. As is often the case, my entrance tends to garner some attention regardless of how carefully I open and close the door. In this instance, two students in the back, near my seat, started to talk to me almost immediately. 

One was CJ, and the other was Rachel. We whispered back and forth during appropriate times (or what I thought were appropriate) in the lesson. Yet, the last thing that I wanted to happen in a classroom happened: "CJ, please stop talking," came from Ms. Bean. I thought it was independent work time, and I was why CJ was talking. Looking around, indeed, I did see that almost everyone else had their eyes on Ms. Bean, and to his credit, CJ apologized. 

Rachel, CJ, and I found our rhythm after that and only spoke when no direct instruction was happening. I answered some questions, worked with both of them on ranking their books, and learned a great deal about them throughout the class. Both had some prior knowledge of the books in front of them, they filled in their choices, and ultimately the work was collected, and it was time for me to go. Except I didn't. 

Rachel and CJ invited me back to their homeroom for dismissal, which I gladly accepted. From lockers to homeroom to the buses, I spent my afternoon with two of our students whom I had never met before. They were kind, funny, curious, and engaging. They made me laugh, made me think, and asked my opinion. They were excited about masks being optional, unsure of their plans for the upcoming weekend, and hoping that they got one of their top two choices for the book study. 

Rachel and CJ, thank you for making me feel welcome in your class. I sincerely appreciated spending the time with you both. It was one of my favorite days last week. But there's one more thing I need to do: 

I'm really sorry for interrupting your class, Ms. Bean!

Photo courtesy of www.americangreetings.com


1 comment:

  1. It's nice to see that even in your role, you admit when you are wrong. You owned it and admitted it publicly.

    It is refreshing to know administrators take time to get to know their students and staff. It makes you human!

    ReplyDelete