Sunday, September 19, 2021

Taking Turns

Our oldest son Patrick started high school in August. Having been in leadership in two different high schools, in two different states, and having a district office located in another high school, I can tell you one thing with confidence: parking lots are unique places. That means that arrival and dismissal times end up taking on a life of their own. If you've ever been in a high school parking lot, you know what I mean. 

As I headed to CVU to pick up Patrick one afternoon, I wondered what my first parking lot experience would be like. While juniors and seniors have parking privileges, freshmen and sophomores rely on others for their transportation. Teen drivers with less than two years experience, plus parents in a rush to pick up their children and get to the item on their "To Do" list (myself included), plus buses. What could go wrong? 

I arrived shortly before 3:00 (dismissal is at 3:15) and found a long line of cars waiting. As students began trickling out, the cars inched forward. With a steadier flow of students leaving the building, the parking lot began to get more crowded, with some students driving their own cars and other being driven by parents or caregivers. I thought to myself, "I know what this is going to look like" because I've seen this before at other high schools. 

I prepared myself for a race to each intersection. No one giving way, everyone trying to gain the slightest edge. With that edge, you get in front of the next vehicle for your turn to sit in line and wait at the stop sign. It's the hurry up and wait mentality of the high school parking lots that I've experienced both as a student, and as an adult. 

So after Patrick got into the car, we joined the conga line of cars all heading for the parking lot exit. I approached the first intersection and made eye contact with the young person approaching me on my right. I expected them to move ahead aggressively and instead was surprised when they gave the right of way to me. At the next turn, another young person, again gave me the right of way. At the third intersection, the individual did move ahead in a more aggressive manner but to my surprise, it was a parent. For our final two turns until we were in line for the stop sign, two other young people took what I considered to be appropriate turns in the lines of traffic. 

I was stunned and so impressed by how well the young people at CVU handled the parking lot. They actually took turns, a lesson that has been implicitly and explicitly taught since they were in early elementary classrooms. One person from one line of traffic gets to go, then someone else from the other line, and so on. If we follow that, we really can all get to where we are going. 

Our children are teaching us again. The only question is, are we open to learning from them? 




No comments:

Post a Comment