Friday, September 3, 2021

It Starts at the Top

On Monday, August 30, I received an e-mail from a professor at Tulane University in New Orleans, LA. The professor and her family were asking about the possibility of relocating to St. Johnsbury, where they own a second home. The family was forced to evacuate their primary home because of Hurricane Ida, and they were in search of opportunities for their children to continue to be educated. 

I consulted the residency statute with our attorney, and one of the safeguards to that statute is that residents must intend to stay for an indefinite period of time. That may not be the case here. At the same time, the family is not leaving their home by choice either. They are victims of a natural disaster. 

Fortunately, I serve a Board with a students-first attitude, and this was no exception. I reached out to my Chair and Vice-Chair and explained the situation. I shared with both of them my hope to extend the opportunity to educate this family's children - in an emergency situation - until the Board meets later in September. At that time, we would add an agenda item for the Board to review and discuss the "Admission of Resident Students" Policy, and the Board would be able to make a final decision for this family. 

That's what I did, and that is what we are going to do. I've connected the family with our Data Manager and the Co-Principal for the Upper House. We hope to see the family in our building this week, meeting with the children and letting them try to put their lives back together from the Green Mountain State. 

I told our Faculty and Staff on their first employment day this year that I believe I have the best job in the state of Vermont. I serve a Board that puts students first - not just during natural disasters, not just during pandemics, not just during states of emergency. I serve a Board that understands the connection between employee morale and better outcomes. I serve a Board that makes policies work for them, not making us work for the policies. 

When you have that kind of freedom as a Superintendent when your Chair asks routinely at meetings, "Is that best for students?" you get to do the work that you know will cultivate a safe, welcome, and inclusive place for students to grow and learn. That is my promise to our students. When I have that kind of freedom, I can make good on my promise to the adults: I want them to be their best professional selves for our students and for their colleagues. When I have that kind of freedom, I can honor the values of the community and reflect those values in the public education they support annually. 

Too often, there are times when we cannot do anything tangible for people who have suffered from the tragedy of a natural disaster. In this case, I know the St. Johnsbury School will allow a family from New Orleans to continue learning. In this case, we can make a difference in the lives of two children. In this case, we can be our best professional selves and add to our safe, welcome, and inclusive environment. 

It's because I serve a Board that puts students first. Every single time. 

Photo courtesy of www.lushin.com


No comments:

Post a Comment