Sunday, January 3, 2021

One Word for 2021

We let Our Boys stay up to watch the ball drop in Times Square for the second year in a row. Last year, it was at the home of our dear friends; this year, it was in our living room, just the four of us. As someone who grew up less than a half-hour north of New York City, it was odd seeing so few on the streets of Manhattan. And still, the ball dropped, 2021 was illuminated, the fireworks went off, and Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" was played. While it looked different, it was still New Year's Eve in Times Square. 

Yes, 2020 looked different. 2020 felt different. 2020 was different. It was an incredibly hard year for so many reasons. Many things changed, and while most of them caused struggles both professionally and personally, there were some silver linings. One of the things I loved most about 2020 was the amount of time I spent with my family. There were no practices to race off to, no overscheduled family calendar of events, no need to be in two places at once. I know that came at a cost, and at the same time, I am forever grateful for the gift of time with My Wife and Children. 

So what did I learn from 2020 that I want to bring to 2021? The one word for 2021 that I want to bring forward is this: connection. It may not always be physical, but it is so utterly necessary for our well being. 

It is what I have spent twenty-five years in education doing, building relationships. At first, it was just with students and colleagues. And as I moved up in leadership, it grew. Buildings, school boards, and communities are all made up of people. People who all put their pants on one leg at a time, who are full of hopes and dreams, for themselves, for their families, and for those who are important in their lives. We need connection. We crave connection. We long for connection. And if it cannot be physical, we find a way to make it work virtually. 

I value relationships over rigor. I value being kind over being right. I value people over institutions. This builds connections. This brings people together. This values the human person. This is the work of education. This is the work of humanity. 

As I regularly do, I have a picture to share in this post. This one needs a little explanation, though. It is a picture of two fairy penguins, and it won the Community Choice Award at the Ocean Photograph Awards in 2020. It was taken by Tobias Baumgaertner, and he was advised by a volunteer that the white one is an elderly female penguin who lost her partner. Apparently, the other is a younger male penguin who also lost his partner. They met regularly, comforting each other, standing for hours watching the lights of the Melbourne, Australia skyline. It took Baumgaertner 3 full nights to get this picture. 

So 2020, I thank you for many lessons learned, some much harder than others. 2021, I look forward to more connection, hopefully physical, but until then, as much virtual connection as we can garner. 

It turns out we're not the only ones on this planet that need connection.  


2 comments:

  1. Connection... It's where it all begins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Brian. It should be everyone's word! Nothing meaningful happens without it....

    ReplyDelete