Sunday, March 31, 2019

Wednesdays with Joe

When I was an undergraduate student, there were very few education courses at the College of the Holy Cross. One of them was Principles of Guidance, a once-weekly seminar. As a sophomore, I didn't think I had a chance to get into the course, but as it turned out, I was accepted. This was my first of many classes with Dean Joseph Maguire. Going forward, I had at least one class with him each of my remaining semesters in college.

Principles of Guidance met on Wednesday afternoons, a class limited to 15 students, as I recall. We discussed a number of topics critical to education, most notably though the emphasis was on relationships. I can credit this class as the first time I began to form my professional commitment to these critical connections in education.

Following Principles of Guidance, I was able to apply for and earn an internship teaching at a school in Worcester. As part of the internship, I met weekly with Dean Joe. We reviewed my plans, assignments, grading and of course, there was reading to do. I read Paolo Friere, John Dewey, and Jonathan Kozol, to name a few. And for the most part, to accommodate our schedules, we met on Wednesdays.

In 1997, Mitch Albom released his wonderful memoir about his experience going back to visit a former sociology professor Morrie Schwartz. Tuesdays with Morrie is a beautiful recounting of the trips that Albom made, after seeing Schwartz on television. Schwartz, who was in the latter stages of a struggle with ALS, continued to teach Albom, imparting wisdom, interspersed with humor and life lessons. Albom has acknowledged that this return to Schwartz changed his life.

I did not have the benefit of perspective as I went through my four years at Holy Cross. While I was keenly aware of the influence Dean Joe was having on my academics, I could not yet fully see the impact he would make on my life. To this day, unless legally required, I use a purple pen. Dean Joe too always used purple. When I asked him about this, his reason was simple: No one ever wants to see their work covered in red. How true.

My professional emphasis in twenty-two years as an educator has been about relationships and that is the greatest tribute I can give to Joe Maguire. From Chicago to Boston to New York to Vermont, whether as a teacher or an educational leader, I have prioritized the relationships with students, faculty, staff, families, and communities. As superintendent, I tell students my job is to make sure they feel safe and included so they can come to school and learn to their potential. I also tell adults, it's my job to make sure they can be their best selves for their students.

I got here, thanks in large part, to my Wednesdays with Joe.

No comments:

Post a Comment