Sunday, March 10, 2019

Always Growing

I've been a fan of Loyola University Chicago (LUC) prior to their recent NCAA Final Four trip, and well before Sister Jean was a household name. Chicago is a place that is near and dear to my heart. I lived there for ten years, it's where I met My Wife, and where our first child was born. LUC is also where I attended graduate school to earn my doctorate.

With the national spotlight being cast on LUC, I will admit I've followed their basketball team a little more closely in the past year or so. In particular, I've been intrigued by the head men's basketball coach, Porter Moser. When a team has a meteoric rise to the top, the way LUC did last year, naturally there is a curiosity about the relationship the coach has with his players. What does Moser do differently? What buttons did he push? How did he blend the right amount of leadership with letting go?

Watching a recent LUC game, one of the broadcasters noted that Moser has chosen to spend time with other successful coaches in the off-season. Not just basketball coaches, but coaches in other sports. I imagine the workload of a college basketball coach that led his team to the Final Four is pretty significant. Further, I would expect that there's not a substantial amount of free time. Add to the mix that Moser is married and has four children and I would expect that there are many demands on his time.

The fact that Moser chose to learn more about his craft, from others in his profession, doesn't just speak to the type of coach that he is, it speaks to the kind of learner that he is. Seeking out others who have more experience, success, and insight into your own profession indicates a level of humility that is not typically praised in our modern culture. In our 24 hour a day news and social media cycle, we pounce on what we perceive to be the truth and ask questions later.

Moser's actions, however, speak to a larger goal. While it's not probable that LUC will return to the Final Four this year, that has not stopped him from taking steps on his own to grow in his field. in 2019, this is something to be celebrated and recognized. No one would have given it a second thought if Moser rested on the success his team enjoyed in 2018. Instead, he chose to look for other opportunities for growth, completely on his own.

As educators, we are entrusted with the highest level of care for our PK - 8 students. They see us for more waking hours a day, at times than their own families. They are legally compelled to come to school for more than 180 days. How can we take Moser's example and make it a part of their world? How can we foster not only the passion for a profession but the desire to continue to grow and learn, especially when it is least expected?

I don't have all the answers, but I desperately want to be part of the solution.

Photo courtesy of www.wabisabilearning.com


No comments:

Post a Comment