Sunday, April 10, 2016

Is it Grit?

This past week, MHS Principal Mike McRaith (@mikemcraith) tweeted out a story from The Hidden Brain podcast (@hiddenbrain) that has had me thinking and reflecting all week.  The podcast was called "The Power and Problem of Grit" and can be found here.  Essentially the question this podcast poses is: Is it grit or stubbornness?  It's something that I'm sure everyone can relate to.

I asked that question fourteen years ago, as a first grade teacher.  I loved my students and my colleagues dearly and yet I struggled with the leadership.  It was the "drive by" method of observation.  People would walk through my classroom, scribble furiously and share none of what was written with me.  I tried to engage the leadership to get some of the actual feedback but to no avail.  I tried to get past the constant flow of people, the interruptions, and the scribbling.

I had multiple conversations with my then-girlfriend, now-wife, about what I was struggling with.  We often wondered aloud about the line between continuing to try to progress professionally and whether I was just hitting my head against a wall.  I did not want to give up on my kids and their families.  I did not want to give up.  I thought I would be considered a failure because I thought by leaving, I would have failed those kids.

We struggled through the year and we ultimately made the difficult decision to go to do something together back in Chicago.  A decision that was beneficial for both of us, opening up opportunities that we did not see on the horizon previously.  What would have happened if we stayed?  I'm not sure.  I do know that leaving raised a lot of questions for me as to my own level of grit (although I didn't know to call it that at the time).  I wondered about my level of "stick-to-it-ness."  I wondered where to find that line.  Is it grit or stubbornness?

That's why the podcast above resonated with me.  I've had that (and other moments) where the question of grit and stubbornness is not clear.  Should the choice be to stick it out, honor your passion and live with hope?  Or is there a different choice?  And does making that choice mean there is some "less" grit?  I'm not sure.  Either way, I wonder how many others have found the line between grit and stubbornness.  Would you be kind enough to share your stories in the comment section below?

Is it grit?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the refection. I am wondering very often if my efforts to pursue a career in research aren’t pure stubbornness! I think that as long as I carefully balance my family life so my children and my husband feel loved and supported then I will end up following the path of my own personal life. It may end up conducting research or just participating in research occasionally. Maybe that is the other choice: to recognize that there are many parts and components to a satisfying life. Following a passion without keeping time for my loved ones would find me as empty as if I did not pursue my passion.
    Liliane

    ReplyDelete