Sunday, March 20, 2016

What Do You Really Do?

A few weeks ago, I was in the hallway of the high school - reveling in the fact that my office is located in a school building and not separate from our students, faculty and staff - chatting with some students after school.  One of the young women, whom I have known since she was a student at the middle school, came up to me and we started talking about her day.  A friend of hers joined us, looked at me and asked me if I was a visitor.  The student who knew me, spoke up and said, "He's the... you know, the guy who..." and then she turned to me and said, "So what is it that you do?"

It isn't often that I get asked this question at the high school.  I have an answer ready for the elementary and middle schools.  Typically, I say something like, I work with all the adults in MPS to do two things: make you feel safe and help you learn as best you can.  But this question caught me off guard and I wasn't ready for it.  So, I did what good educators do, I turned the question around.

I turned to the young lady I knew and I said, "What do you think I do?"  She laughed and admitted to her friend that she knew what I did but couldn't explain it.  She turned back to me and said, "No seriously, what do you really do?"  I smiled but didn't answer her.

At that moment, Matt McLane came out of his office and I motioned for him to come over to us.  With a smile on my face, I explained the situation and shared how we all were struggling to describe what it is that I really do.  He looked at all three of us, smiled and said, "He opens wide the doors for learning and opportunity."  I was stunned, awed and humbled.  I have known that Matt McLane had a way with words, was insightful, and came straight to the point - but it was the first time all that was directed my way.

It is easy to lose sight of what you do on a regular basis.  We all get caught up in the day-to-day.  The to-do list, the e-mail inbox, and the phone calls.  The lesson plans, the assessments, and the reflections.  Our families, our friends, and our personal lives.  Making lunches, making dinners, and making peace.  Driving to school, driving to work, and driving to practices.  The lists go on and on...

Matt McLane's comment hit me right between the eyes.  I never about what I did in that way.  I was proud to know that someone saw what I did and took a moment to tell me about it.  So this week I challenge you to find someone who knows what it is you really do, and ask them to tell you.  You deserve to know that you make a difference in the lives of your students, your colleagues, your families, your friends.

I open wide the doors for learning and opportunity in Montpelier Public Schools.  What do you really do?

No comments:

Post a Comment