Sunday, March 13, 2016

We Carry Their Stories

One of the elements of leadership that was never formally the subject of a course that I took has to do with the relationships that develop with the adults you work with.  Often, as an educational leader I am allowed into people's lives, whether because they have to (if they are asking for consideration) or because they want to or for some reason in between.

In my years in educational leadership, I have been humbled and honored to be able to walk with people on their life's journey, through the work they do.  I have been told when families are pregnant and planning a Family Leave, when professional honors are coming, and delighting with parents who bring their children's accomplishments to share at the table.  Those moments are magical and I feel privileged to share in them.

I have also been there as people have faced deep sadness and grief.  I have sat with people anticipating the death of a loved one, the actual passing of a family member, and the disclosure of a troublesome diagnosis.  In those moments, I am reminded of what My Wife has taught me about listening, and I just am present and try to say nothing.  There is nothing for me to say, no words I can offer, no way I can make it better.  In those moments, I simply try to be one human being, present to another human being in an incredibly vulnerable moment.  Those moments are gut-wrenching and stay with me, often reminding me to be very grateful.

In a conversation with Mike McRaith this week, I was mentioning this to him and noting that recently, I was made aware of some truly challenging moments in the lives of the adults in MPS.  I struggled to make sense of what they were going through and how being present doesn't always feel like enough, as if I was required to "do more."  He acknowledged that this is indeed an unspoken part of leadership and upon reflecting about this for a few moments said, "We carry their stories."  That has stayed with me this week - we carry their stories.

Teaching is such a personal profession - regardless of what role you play.  I am proud that my leadership emphasizes building relationships as the critical nature of the work.  Bringing so much of who you are to your work, in a place where relationships matter, leads to the trust (or obligation) to let people into your world.

Based on what I have learned in the past few weeks about the people I serve with, I am left in awe of the capacity of the human spirit, the dedication of people in Montpelier Public Schools to their profession and their families, and proud to be a part of their lives.  It is a gift to be let into the worlds of the people who serve MPS.  I am honored to carry your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment