Sunday, October 4, 2015

That's Nice, but Does it Really Work?

I joined Twitter in August of 2011, one month after being appointed Superintendent of Montpelier Public Schools.  I thought it would be a nice way to communicate some of the wonderful things happening in MPS and "brag" a little bit about what I saw when I visited our buildings.  It has turned out to be so much more.

Twitter is a place where I can share ideas, be challenged and validated at the same time.  It is a place of inspiration, where I see what other educational leaders are doing and try to envision a way to bring that (or some version of that) to our work in MPS.  It is a place of reflection, where I stop and think about what we are doing in MPS and wonder (sometimes aloud) if we are on the right path.  It is a place of collaboration, where I share ideas and interact with others who have some wisdom or expertise, or who share the same ideas for their schools and districts.  

I've participated in and moderated Twitter chats.  One of my favorite is #satchat, a once weekly opportunity that takes place on Saturday mornings from 7:30 to 8:30.  Moderators post the questions a day in advance and we answer the questions together.  It is a tremendous opportunity for professional growth.  It is a chance to see what other educators and those committed to improving education are thinking all at once.  It is fun, it is fast-paced, and it is thought-provoking.  And it all happens in the comfort of my home, while having a cup of coffee on a Saturday morning.

In the five years I have been on Twitter, I have connected with people who live both in United States and internationally.  I have also connected with people who live locally in Vermont, that I have not yet physically crossed paths with, even in our small state.  Twitter is a place where I have developed professional admiration for people, based on the work they are doing.  People have challenged me to grow as an educational leader, inspired me by the strides they are making on behalf of children, and caused me to reflect on what I do and what we do in MPS.  

Often when talking to people unfamiliar to Twitter about it, undoubtedly I will be asked if it "works." I am quick to answer it does, and usually cite some of the examples I've written about already.  But this week, I had a Twitter first that really demonstrates again the power of social media.  I got an e-mail in my inbox from someone I follow.  

I follow Annie Murphy Paul (@anniemurphypaul) for her writing about learning.  She writes about how we learn and how we can do it better.  Professionally, I believe in what she writes about and know that her work contributes to what forward thinking educators are doing to better serve their students.  This week her name appeared in my inbox.  It was a personal invitation to participate in an e-course that she has developed to show educators how to implement affirmative testing.  Like me, Ms. Paul sees tests as an "occasion for student learning and growth" (her words) and just one point on their educational journey. 

A personal invitation to participate in a course from someone who I connected with on Twitter.  Someone who considers testing to be an opportunity for students to demonstrate how they've learned and grown.  Yes, please!  This is yet another opportunity for my own learning and growth, made possible by Twitter.  If I had not joined Twitter, I would not have made this connection, and not had the opportunity for this course.  Yes indeed, Twitter "works."

1 comment:

  1. What a terrific opportunity! I also love Twitter for the great articles and quick professional resources. It's a place for me to showcase some of the learning and reflecting I'm doing with my students on a daily basis as well. Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete