Sunday, January 22, 2023

Going Slow

I have been a fan of NPR for many years, especially the weekly news quiz, "Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me." One of my fondest memories of the COVID pandemic was having Our Boys in the car with me, listening and naming as many of the regular employees Peter Sagal honors at the end of the show. I love the comedians on the panel, the regular quiz segments, and listening to people tell their stories. However, one of the things I love the most is the quirky news items that are shared. On the January 14 episode, I learned of a grocery store in the Netherlands with an option most people often don't choose: to go slowly. Let me explain. 

Beginning in 2019, the Jumbo supermarket chain and the Ministry of Health, Welfare, and Sport created "Kletskassa," or in English, "chat checkouts." This was done to counter loneliness and the adverse effects that come with it among their shoppers. These lanes operate slower and encourage conversation between the cashier and the patrons without worrying that those behind will be annoyed at the delay. While the program is aimed at senior citizens, anyone can participate. 

What a concept! An effort and honest-to-goodness communication, conversation, and relationships. Something focused and geared directly toward deeper interpersonal connection. I offer that this is something desperately needed in 2023. 

I'm as guilty as anyone. I just got back from grocery shopping with My Wife. I chose the shortest line, even though there was no bagger at the end. Why? We needed to get back to unload the groceries before we turned around to go to the soccer game for our youngest son. Why didn't we go earlier? We were hosting one of our oldest's friends for a sleepover. Who has the time? 

And, when we don't make the time, it will slip through our fingers. Like sand on a beach. Despite our best efforts, once time is lost, it is gone to never be recovered. We cannot get it back. 

But we can make the time. We can choose to go slower. We can choose to have the extra conversation. We can choose to stop and ask the meaningful question. We can make those choices. We can choose relationships, over everything else. Below is an exchange I had on Twitter recently, with someone I've never met in person: 


I've been teaching since 1996, and thanks to the reality of social media, I'm still in touch with many of my former students. We have sporadic interactions. At times I note that in my mind, they are in the very same classroom seat they occupied when I was there teacher. How can you have children of your own, is a question I often ask. I marvel at what they are doing with their lives, and they can't believe that I have children of my own, and how they've grown. 

Not once have we talked about test scores. Not once have we talked about outcomes. Not once have we talked about grades. Not. One. Single. Time. 

One of my former principals would often remind us at leadership meetings that we have to go slow to go fast, because if we don't we will leave someone behind. There is so much wisdom in that. We are better together. 

Please join me this week in being intentionally slower. Making time for the people in our world, personally and professionally. Before we know it, this week will be done and we'll be onto the next. 

Slowly, let's together honor the gift of time. 

Photo courtesy of www.hemma.ca





No comments:

Post a Comment