Sunday, December 11, 2022

Out of My Comfort Zone

I did something this week that I've never done before. It was something that I needed to do. I joined a class at a local gym to try to get into better shape. 

I've never been much of an athlete, topping out at junior varsity basketball and baseball while running track all four years of high school. Instead of playing basketball and baseball, I turned to officiating to stay close to the sports I love. The only sports I played in college were intramurals while I continued officiating. As my life progressed, I was happy to do a little running, a little walking, a little officiating, and keep myself healthy. 

Then I let life and Father Time begin to intervene. I was not running as often as I wanted to and finally stopped altogether. That was fine, my weight was still in a place I was OK with. Then I had the conversation with my doctor, who told me that the amount of exercise had nothing to do with weight loss anymore. I had reached that age. 

Exercise now was exclusively for my mental health. My diet was now in direct control of my weight. I saw a two as the first number of my weight for the first time in my life. 

So I joined a class that meets three days a week, from 5:30 - 6:30 AM, to help get me in better shape. My only problem is that this is my first time in a class like this. I've never worked out with weights or other people before. Of course, I've been to team practices, but I went to high school in the late eighties and early nineties, and the weight room was almost exclusively for the football team. 

Fortunately, the other members of my class looked like me and admitted they're like me at our first session. Almost all are dads, trying to find a way to beat the all-too-quick passage of time and stay healthy as our children grow. It's a humbling experience. 

At least once during each class, I don't think I'm going to make it through all the circuits. There is often at least one of the exercises that I cannot do all of the reps for. And since I've never lifted weights before (in my life), I'm certainly the person with the least amount of additional weight on the bar. 

I am absolutely and utterly uncomfortable in that class. 

But I've made it through every class. I've completed all the circuits. I may not do all the reps... yet, but I am doing as many as I can. I'm training muscles that have never been used before (and are pretty sore) in the hopes that they will grow with me. 

That's what we want for all our learners in East Greenwich Public Schools, students and adults alike. We want them to grow. If we want all our learners to grow, they must step outside of their comfort zones once in a while. To step out of your comfort zone takes courage. You must feel safe, welcomed, and included. That is our work, to continue to grow a foundation of inclusivity with relationships at the center. When our learners feel that, they will take a risk, go to a place they've never been before, and hopefully grow. 

The truth is, that's how and when we all will grow; when we are out of our comfort zone. 

Photo courtesy of www.priohio.com




No comments:

Post a Comment