Sunday, May 22, 2022

What is the Greater Good?

One of my all-time favorite musicals is Les Miserables. I first saw it in high school, again with my family when I was in college, and for a third time when I was dating my then-girlfriend, now-wife. I regularly have the soundtrack on while cooking, much to my family's chagrin.   

It is an adaptation of Victor Hugo's 1862 novel of the same name, with the protagonist Jean Valjean. Set in early 19th century France, Valjean is a peasant seeking redemption after being imprisoned for nineteen years for stealing bread to feed his sister's child. Shortly after his release from prison to parole, he is welcomed by a bishop into his home. Overwhelmed by the bishop's kindness, Valjean steals silverware from him but is caught by the police. 

When the police bring Valjean to the bishop with their suspicions, the bishop continues to show kindness to Valjean: 

But my friend, you left so early
Surely something slipped your mind
You forgot I gave these also
Would you leave the best behind?
So Monsieurs, you may release him
For this man has spoken true
I commend you for your duty
May God's blessings go with you. 

In essence, the bishop lied to protect Valjean. He knew Valjean's story, and he knew how much Valjean was struggling with the weight of his release to parole. The bishop knew it was wrong for Valjean to steal his silverware, but he also knew no good would come from Valjean going back to jail. 

The entire musical hinges on this moment. If the bishop tells the truth, the story ends there. Valjean goes back to jail and does not find his redemption. However, the bishop sees the greater good and gives Valjean a second chance. 

Often as educators, we are faced with similar dilemmas. When we know the stories of our students, our worlds become less black and white and more gray. I've told the story of how I came down so hard on one of my students in my first years of teaching. He had not completed his homework, and I really laid into him in front of the entire class. When I finally took the time to ask why he did not do his homework, he told me that his brother had run away from home the night before. That was one of many moments I wished I had back as a teacher. 

There are policies, procedures, and rules, and they exist for a reason. We need them for our schools and our districts to be places of predictability and safety. There are clear lines that we cannot cross. There are clear lines that our students cannot cross. Those must remain. 

Still, there are plenty of other places in our educational world where those lines are not so clear. Educators have a great deal of latitude when it comes to our students, what they do, where they go, and when they do it. And these past two years have been traumatic for both students and educators alike. We are all in need of grace and patience. Every human has been through heightened levels of stress, expectations, and anxiety. It weighs on all of us. 

Since that is our reality, let us continue to show kindness to each other and our students. I would offer that there is no one anywhere in our lives that cannot benefit from more grace and patience. We can emulate the bishop in Les Miserables. 

Let that be the greater good. 

Photo courtesy of www.fromthecarriagehouse.com


No comments:

Post a Comment