Sunday, November 1, 2020

Be The Joy

I am a devoted fan of the television show The West Wing. I watched it when I could when it was on network TV (remember where there was "appointment viewing") but really was able to enjoy it fully when it was in reruns on Bravo, and ultimately on Netflix. The show, created by Aaron Sorkin, ran from 1999 to 2006 and features a fictional Democratic administration trying to balance meeting the country's needs with the political realities. It earned twenty-six Emmys during that time, tying it with Hill Street Blues for the most ever for a drama series. 

I cannot specifically put my finger on what makes it so compelling to me. It's not a sappy, it-all-works-out-in-the-end kind of show. In fact, there are plenty of ways the administration struggles to keep its word, falls short on campaign promises, and fails to pass important fictional legislation that would make a difference in the lives of those who need it. And still, it stirs me emotionally, recommits me to public service, and inspires me to lead.  

The original cast recently reunited for a special called When We All Vote (currently airing on HBO Max for free through the end of 2020: https://www.hbomax.com/votebecause). I devoured it. I showed it to my family. It was a staged presentation of one of the episodes from season 3, called "Hartsfield's Landing," done to support and raise awareness for the non-profit, non-partisan organization When We All Vote

While I absolutely loved the show and seeing my heroes again, there were other moments that really caught my attention. During the breaks in the scenes of the actual show, public service announcements, with Michelle Obama, Samuel L. Jackson, and the actors themselves encouraged everyone to vote. Each, in their own way, expressed their perspective on the importance of voting. But there was also something else during what would have been network television commercial breaks. 

There were black and white scenes of the actors rehearsing, dancing, looking at each other's phones, elbow bumping (per COVID-19 protocols), and truly enjoying each other as people. But what was really compelling to me was they were laughing. Not just "ha-ha" laughter - full, belly laughter. Bent over at the waist laughter. Broad, wide smiles. Genuine joy. It brought tears to my eyes, watching it. It stirred me. I miss it. 

Because the world feels heavy. My world feels heavy. The pandemic looms over almost every decision we are making as a family. The pandemic looms over almost every decision we are making as a leadership team. The pandemic looms...

And yet we must go on. We take one step together. Or we stand still and hope someone stands next to us. One step at a time. One decision at a time. And in those moments, we have to find joy. 

The joy in running with My Wife, holding her hand on the walk home.

The joy in receiving an unsolicited gift from a child during a classroom visit. 

The joy in snuggling with My Children, every night, before they fall asleep. 

The joy in listening to a staff member unburden themselves in my office. 

The joy in FaceTiming with My Goddaughter.

The joy in watching a teacher's eyes sparkle over their mask while talking to a student. 

The joy in having coffee with My Friend. 

The joy in childhood, still evident in our building every day. Every single day. 

There is so much in our world that is uncertain. To that begin to push back at that, we have to find the joy. If we cannot find the joy, then we have to be the joy. 

I knew the world of The West Wing was fictional when I started watching it more than twenty years ago, and I still know it's fictional now. I know Martin Sheen is not the President, Allison Janney is not the Press Secretary, and that Bradley Whitford is not the Deputy Chief of Staff. While I know in my head it is a television show, the recent special confirmed what I also knew in my heart all along. 

The joy is real. 

Photo courtesy of www.quotemaster.org



No comments:

Post a Comment