Sunday, November 18, 2018

The Value of Traditions

On Saturday November 10, forty-four people began arriving at our home around 4:00. For the sixth year in a row, My Wife and I have hosted a Friendsgiving Celebration. The idea is, that we all go our separate ways to our own families on the actual Thanksgiving and we don't take the time to celebrate with the people that we see almost everyday.

There were two turkeys, one twenty-eight pounds, the other sixteen. Both were brined the night before and stuffed the day of. The first was cooked in our oven, the second one was cooked at a friend's house. We made stuffing and provided rolls, and made sure there was enough room in the kitchen for everyone to bring a side dish.

Prior to the arrival, we set up our home to make sure there were enough seats for all the children and all the adults. We eat in two shifts: the children eat first, then disappear to the basement to watch the Home Alone series of movies. Then the adults eat, in relative peace and quiet.

This is, without question, one of my favorite nights of our year. While it is a tremendous amount of work, I am humbled by the friendships that are celebrated that night. The friends that feel like family, the children that have gone to school together, the miles of carpooling we've shared as we've attended practices and athletic events.

On one of those miles that I was driving in late October, I was chatting with the boys in the car. We were talking about the changing leaves and the beautiful fall colors we are fortunate to see in Vermont. I was wistful about the days shortening and the end of the warm summer months. This young man, looking out our car window said, "I really don't mind it. November has my favorite holiday." "Oh, do you like Thanksgiving," I asked. He said, "No, Friendsgiving is by far, my favorite holiday, at your house."

I literally was stunned. While I had heard that sentiment from some of our own friends, I had no idea how much it mean to the children who come - some of whom were very little when they began coming to our house. To this young man, the notion that you could have a Thanksgiving dinner with all your friends and then go and watch a movie with all those same friends, was what made it his favorite holiday.

Never underestimate the value of the traditions in our worlds, our schools, our classrooms. Never underestimate the impact we have on the lives of the children we see everyday. Never underestimate how much what we do matters to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment