Sunday, October 16, 2016

After All, We Live in Vermont

This weekend, we hiked the Sterling Pond trail.  It was a beautiful day and we had never done this particular trail before.  We prepared by wearing layers, since it was the middle of October and we were expecting chilly weather.

As we started on the trail, it was a little windy but relatively warm.  The trail was steep at times, required some climbing, and was really a good workout.  About a third of the way up, My Wife wanted to take off her vest but we did not have room for it in our backpack.  She didn't want to keep it on - it was too warm.  So we made a decision to leave it on the side of the trail.

This went against all my instincts.  While we have lived in Vermont since 2007, I was raised just outside New York City and have lived in Chicago and Boston.  I lock my car doors every night, whether the car is in the driveway or the garage.  Our home is locked nightly as well.  This is how I was raised, and a reflection of where I have lived most of my life.  It's just not in my psyche to leave a personal item out in public and expect that it will be there when I return.

We had a wonderful hike together.  First time trails are fun to learn about and to figure out.  Near the top, we met a kind stranger who made our hike that much better.  He directed us to the left of Sterling Pond when we got to the top.  We went up a set of stairs, and after a few more steps were at the very top of Smugg's.  What a beautiful fall view we had!



After admiring the beautiful foliage the trees had to offer us, it was time to head back down.  Going down is easier than going up but I had my doubts about whether or not the vest would be there.  As we passed people on their way up, part of me almost expected to see someone with My Wife's vest.  As we neared the final third of our trek down, I started eyeing the left side of the trail.  To my delight, there was the vest, exactly where we had left it one hour and forty-five minutes earlier.

I pride myself on being a life long learner and expect to continue learning as long as I am breathing.  I'm learning about the wonderful state we live in.  I will still lock my home and my car.  However, I definitely have more faith that if I leave something behind, it will be there when I come back.  This is not New York, Chicago, or Boston.  After all, we live in Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment