Friday, August 21, 2015

The Phone Didn't Ring Even Once

A week ago, my family and I were coming to the end of a glorious week in Maine.  Just the four of us, on vacation together.  Long days at the beach, no schedules, lots of conversations, laughter, games, and food!  As I thought back longingly to that time this week as I returned to work, one thing stood out: the phone didn't ring once.

We rented a condo from a wonderful family.  They were generous and kind: each of Our Boys had a Lego waiting for them when they arrived and My Bride and I were treated to a bottle of wine.  There were plenty of windows, a beautiful sun room, comfortable beds... and no phones.

During the week, My Bride purposely turned her iPhone off.  Completely off.  If you're not aware, this function takes place by holding down the small button at the top of the phone and then sliding your finger across the words "slide to power off."  I recommend you try it some time when you need to disconnect.

I left my phone on - only to connect with our house sitter (who only messaged me once) and to take pictures (see below).  It was, in a word, freeing.




We spend our professional days connected using technology: e-mail, social media, Feedly, Flipboard, to name a few.  We are reachable by any number of devices.  Just this week, returning to the office, the little red light on top of my phone was lit, indicating the voicemail messages waiting for me.

My family's week in Maine was blissfully free of all of that.  We didn't get one phone call and while I left my phone on, I disabled the automatic e-mail notifications.  No red number on my mail icon letting me know what my inbox was looking like.  I have left it set like that this week and am considering leaving it like that going forward.  Then I am choosing to look at my e-mail - not reacting to a number.

Work/Life balance is something that I spoke to the MPS Leadership Team about this week as we all returned to work.  The truth is, we must attend to both thoughtfully and intentionally in order to do well in those realms.  During the times when the balance is tipped, we need to find a way to restore order.  For me, a family vacation, just the four of us, is how I can restore balance in my life and prepare for the upcoming school year.  It is a gift and precious time that will be forever remembered by me, My Bride, and hopefully Our Boys.

And the phone didn't ring even once. 

No comments:

Post a Comment