Sunday, September 15, 2013

The Follow-Up

It was the first five day week in Montpelier Public Schools.  The perfect opportunity to spend copious amounts of time in our buildings, seeing thoughtful instruction, engaged students... ensuring that the smiles that were so prevalent in the first seven school days were still there.

It was also another week of "firsts" for me: first meetings.  I spent more of my week away from MPS than I care to admit.  All the meetings were important: I sat down and spent some time with a new Superintendent from another Supervisory Union.  All VT Superintendents met this week and the regional group that I belong to met as well.  I spent an afternoon learning about the Affordable Care Act, the Vermont Health Exchange, and the impact they will have on health insurance in the state.  I felt a little "meeting-ed out" and was lacking inspiration for this blog.

When I was in my office briefly on Friday I had a chance to review voicemail messages and return phone calls.  Logging into the voicemail, the automated voice tells me date, time, and length of message.  Listening to the preview of the first message, I heard it was 70 seconds.  To be honest, not many people call me and leave a complimentary message that is 70 seconds long!  It was a parent calling with safety concerns about one of our schools.  I copied down all the pertinent information and continued to listen to the remaining messages.

The last message was only 20 seconds long - it was the same parent that previously had left the 70 second message.  This was a follow-up to let me know, they had connected with the principal of that building, had a thoughtful conversation, felt heard by the principal and her concerns were addressed.  I was floored - in my 17 years as a professional educator, I had never received (nor made) the follow-up call.

This final message was simple, thoughtful, and to the point.  The voice was calm, pleasant, and warm.  While I hope to receive more messages like this, my ultimate goal is that the employees of MPS are present enough to all stakeholders when concerns arise that the end result is the same as this one.  This parent was able to communicate the concerns to the principal, the principal heard the concerns, the principal addressed the concerns (notice I didn't say fixed), the parent felt heard and validated, and walked away from this conversation inspired to call me back. 

Too often, administrators fall into the trap of "fixing," when more often than not, we need to listen and validate first.  If parents feel heard and validated, more often than not they are then in a place to listen to what we have to say.  If parents feel heard and validated, more often than not they are able to engage in a conversation about next steps.  If parents feel heard and validated, more often than not they will work with us on a timeline for a reasonable implementation about their concerns.  If parents feel heard and validated, more often than not they will see passionate, student-centered advocates who care deeply about their child and who want to ensure that their child shines in that building.  If parents feel heard and validated, more often than not they will be partners in education.  Who knows, if parents feel heard and validated, perhaps they will even make a follow-up phone call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment